Researchers leaving KU for another position are allowed to take the equipment that they’ve been using on a limited basis. Equipment transfer requests are handled on a case-by-case basis based upon the following criteria.
- The equipment is not needed at KU by other faculty and/or staff.
- Grant funded equipment and/or supplies may be transferred at no cost as long as the grant is also transferring with the researcher.
- Non-grant funded equipment and/or supplies may be “sold” to the new organization based upon a negotiated value.
- The minimum value that the University will accept for equipment is:
- Net Book Value (Original Cost less Accumulated Depreciation) – Central Property Accounting will provide this value for all centrally tracked assets and will assist in calculating this value for non-centrally tracked assets.
- 5% of Original Cost – For fully depreciated assets.
- The Department Chair must negotiate and approve all transfer requests.
- All negotiated transfers must be documented via written agreements between KU and the new organization. Central Property Accounting can assist with draft written agreement.
- Central Property Accounting must receive the written agreement signed by all parties before any equipment is removed from campus.
REMINDER – These types of transactions take a significant amount of time to coordinate. We highly recommend that departments with this issue contact Central Property Accounting as soon as they become aware of the request.