I have a researcher leaving KU for another position and he/she wants to take with them the equipment they've been using…is that allowed?

Researchers leaving KU for another position are allowed to take the equipment that they’ve been using on a limited basis. Equipment transfer requests are handled on a case-by-case basis based upon the following criteria.

  • The equipment is not needed at KU by other faculty and/or staff.
  • Grant funded equipment and/or supplies may be transferred at no cost as long as the grant is also transferring with the researcher.
  • Non-grant funded equipment and/or supplies may be “sold” to the new organization based upon a negotiated value.
    • The minimum value that the University will accept for equipment is:
      • Net Book Value (Original Cost less Accumulated Depreciation) – Accounting Services will provide this value for all centrally tracked assets and will assist in calculating this value for non-centrally tracked assets.
      • 5% of Original Cost – For fully depreciated assets.
  • The Department Chair must negotiate and approve all transfer requests.
  • All negotiated transfers must be documented via written agreements between KU and the new organization. Accounting Services can assist with draft written agreement.
  • Accounting Services must receive the written agreement signed by all parties before any equipment is removed from campus.

REMINDER – These types of transactions take a significant amount of time to coordinate. We highly recommend that departments with this issue contact Accounting Services as soon as they become aware of the request. 

What are my disposal options?

Disposal options available to departments include

  • KU Surplus
  • eWaste recycling
  • trade-in

REMINDER – Donations to employees or other individuals are strictly prohibited. 

Why don't you automatically dispose of items that have exceeded their useful lives?

The University has numerous assets that continue to be functional well beyond their depreciable useful lives used for financial reporting purposes (i.e. 8 years for most equipment; 5 years for vehicles). Thus there is no way for Accounting Services to automatically know when an asset has become obsolete and is ready for disposal. It is the department's responsibility to have internal controls in place to dispose of assets once they have become obsolete and/or are no longer needed or used by the department. 

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today