If I have an old or obsolete item that my department no longer needs, can I take it home or give it to someone in my department for their personal use?

Absolutely NO! Old and/or obsolete items are still considered state property and must be handled appropriately. Instructions for how to dispose of state property are available under Transfers and Dispositions.

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today